Friday, May 6, 2016

Shake, Rattle & Roll

This week we're excited to welcome the very talented Sybrina K, who emailed us to suggest a prompt with the awesome title, "Shake, Rattle and Roll" so of course she got our attention right away! What's the assignment? We're creating cards with an interactive element ... it could be a shaker card, a pop-up, unique folds, sliders, games ... you get the picture, right? There are lots of Pinterest Boards and Tutorial Forums that are filled with possible ideas... or you can use one of ours. But first, let's meet Sybrina:

"Hi, I'm Sybrina, for me, card making is all about sending cheer, hope, and encouragement one card at a time. As a shipper for Send A Smile 4 Kids, the majority of my cards are made to send cheer, hope, and encouragement to in-patient kids at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. In addition, I'm a co-founder of the monthly words-inspired challenge blog Words 2 Craft By and a member of the Cards in Envy design team. My adventures in card making can be found at Chapter Three: Taking Life One Page at a Time"

Here's what we made this week:



Sybrina says, "Thanks so much to Lauren and Stephanie for inviting me to join them today and share my passion for Send a Smile 4 Kids. When making cards for SAS4Kids, I'm always looking for new ways to include features that will appeal to children. It's hard to go wrong with interactive cards, and I've been wanting to come up with a Tic-Tac-Toe card for a while now. This fortnight's Shake, Rattle, and Roll challenge was the perfect opportunity to see what I could do with a little Velcro, paper, and adhesive."


Stephanie says, "I won't lie, when I heard this week's theme, I was a little intimidated.  I'm not a very precise crafter (I mostly *eye-ball*) and cards with movement and interaction usually require precision to work correctly.   I found a great step-by-step and video tutorial for making a *Never-Ending Card* at SplitcoastStampers which was easy enough that even a goof-ball like me could figure it out.  I used three different blue patterned papers from the same holiday collection and added coordinating stickers and lots of snowflakes.  This picture is the four views of the card as you move through the *never-ending* fold (there are closer pictures on my blog if you want to see more."



Lauren says, "I confess that when I heard this fortnight's title, I hardly even listened to the "Rattle and Roll" part because I was already planning my shaker card, lol. I started with the pretty winter scene --which is actually a store-bought Christmas card I was sent a few years ago. I built the shaker frame from coordinating Pebbles patterned papers; the window from a scrap of inkjet transparency; and the "snow" is composed of tiny clear microbeads. I used sketch #272 from Sketch Saturday to guide the placement of my elements."

Now it's your turn to "Shake, Rattle and Roll"! Go as wild (or as tame) as you'd like with any sort of interactive card-design that inspires you... then come back and link up here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, May 18th. Keyword for galleries and flickr is JB:16:10.

3 comments:

Sybrina K said...

Lauren and Stephanie, You've made great inspiration cards... as always! Thanks so much for inviting me to join you this fortnight at Jingle Belles! It was such fun making a tic-tac-snow card for SAS4Kids. :)

Barbara Godden said...

Great challenge, I hope to find time to make something interactive, off to get an idea.

Jane Willis said...

What amazing inspiration cards! I cringed when I read the title because I simply Can. Not. Do. shaker cards. I don't know why, I just end up in a mess of glue, foam pads, static electricity and confetti. But thank goodness it didn't have to be a shaker, it's prompted me to revive the long-lost (by me) hidden message technique.
Jane